Would you like to own a cat that is not physically striking to look at but has an adorable and affectionate personality? If so, a Maine Coon Sphynx mix cat may be a good choice. Some people may find this as an unlikely pair but a mix of these two breeds guarantees that you will have a sociable and interactive pet without too much fur around your home.
maine coon sphynx mix: physical traits and personality
You may be wondering what a maine coon sphynx mix cat looks like. this is because this mixture is quite rare. however, this particular mix of two breeds exists as a result of interbreeding.
A maine coon sphynx mix usually has short fluffy hair, but it does have the wrinkled look that is one of the trademarks of the sphynx breed. He also has a medium build and facial features more closely resemble a Sphynx cat than a Maine Coon which has large eyes and long pointed ears.
To get a better idea of the physical attributes of the maine coon sphynx mix, it may be helpful to list the common physical traits of each breed here for a more comparative look.
physical traits of the maine coon
- medium to large size with males larger than females
- long, rectangular body
- heavy-boned and muscular
- big head and tall ears
- broad chest
- thick legs
- long hair and a fluffy furry coat
- eye colors can be green, gold, brown, or odd-eyed
- coat colors can be black, blue, white, cream red, silver, brown, tortoiseshell, cream blue, gold
- coat patterns can be solid, tortoiseshell, bicolor, tricolor/calico, tabby, smoke, shading
- Weighs 13 to 18 pounds
- life expectancy is 9 to 13 years
- has very short hair or almost no hair
- coat colors can be white, black, red, blue, silver, cream, cameo, gold, blue-cream, tortoiseshell, and brown
- coat patterns can be solid, tortoiseshell, tricolor/calico, bicolor, tabby, ticking, smoke, shading
- medium-sized cat
- has wrinkled skin
- has big eyes
- slender, muscular body
- has a triangular head
- his eyes are wide apart
- has prominent cheekbones
- large, triangular ears like those of bats
- he weighs about 12 pounds
- life expectancy is 8 to 14 years
- family and pets
- very vocal and may chirp, trill, or chatter
- loves water
- He loves to show off to get attention
- has a sense of humor despite the stern expression
- gets along well with children and other pets
- likes to greet its owner at the door
- very vocal and has a scratchy voice
- likes to bathe in warm water
physical features of sphinx
Cat owners should expect to get the best of both breeds when it comes to temperament and personality from the maine coon sphynx mix cat. this is because both breeds are very similar in this area.
these are the maine coon and sphynx breed personality traits:
maine coon personality traits
sphinx personality traits
With the above personality traits of both breeds as a baseline, it’s no surprise that the maine coon sphynx mix has a friendly, outgoing, and loving personality just like its parents. however, while genetics can play a significant role in a cat’s development, personality is shaped throughout its life by factors such as environment and socialization.
some fun facts about sphynx and maine coon cats
sphynx cats are from canada and although they may appear hairless, they are not bald and are not hypoallergenic. these cats are prone to skin problems due to their sensitive skin and also prone to sunburn. They tend to eat a lot and have fast metabolisms and are very popular all over the world.
Maine coons are known as gentle giants. They are well adapted to withstand harsh, cold weather due to their thick, fluffy, moisture-repellent coat. these cats are not aggressive and may carry the gene for extra toes. they tend to be vocal and have certain vocalizations such as chirping, trilling, and chattering. this breed is also among the popular cat breeds and is considered the largest domestic cat breed.
The maine coon sphynx mix is a unique combination of two equally popular cat breeds with affable personalities. While the two breeds are polar opposites in terms of physical attributes, they are very similar when it comes to personality and temperament.
image: istockphoto.com/nils jacobi